News Briefs: ‘FISTFUL’ Wraps; Wonder Street Signs New Rising Star; DAY SHIFT Adds Five; SIX STRING SAMURAI Revamps At Vingear; 2nd THE SUICIDE SQUAD Trailer
● The cast and crew of Fistful Of Vengeance complete principal photography in Thailand this week. An offshoot of Netflix action series Wu Assassins, Roel Reine directs a cast that includes Iko Uwais, Lewis Tan, Lawrence Kao and Juju Chan, along with Ratha Phongam, Jason Tobin, Pearl Thusi and Francesca Corney. INSTAGRAM
● Actor, dancer and martial artist Jordan Cann signed a management deal with Wonder Street Entertainment, the same firm that reps stars like Tony Jaa (Paradox) and Michael Jai White (Blood And Bone). Cann’s been on our own radar dating back to 2014, several years after he relocated from New York City to Los Angeles as a burgeoning dance and acting talent with the itch to break into action films, and he’s proved himself amply ever since. He’s developed shortfilm favorites like My Brother’s Keeper, Reclamation and action comedy, Pizza Fight. His feature film credits include F. Gary Gray’s Straight Outta Compton, Street, From Paris To Rome and cop thriller, Street Dreams: Los Angeles. THE ACTION ELITE
● J.J. Perry’s feature directing debut, Day Shift, has cast Dave Franco (The Disaster Artist, The Rental), Natasha Liu Bordizzo (The Voyeurs, The Society) Oliver Masucci (Dark, Enfant Terrible), Steve Howey (Shameless) and C.S. Lee (Dexter, Nora From Queens) to join lead actor Jamie Foxx. Penned by Tyler Tice, with current revisions by Shay Hatten (John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum, Zack Snyder’s Army of the Dead, John Wick: Chapter 4), Day Shift centers on Foxx as a hard working blue collar dad who just wants to provide a good life for his quick-witted daughter, but his mundane San Fernando Valley pool cleaning job is a front for his real source of income, hunting and killing vampires as part of an international Union of vampire hunters.
Chad Stahelski (John Wick franchise) & Jason Spitz are producing for 87Eleven Entertainment alongside Shaun Redick (Get Out, BlackKklansman) and Yvette Yates Redick (Malicious) for Impossible Dream Entertainment. Foxx is exec producing with Datari Turner, and with Peter Baxter (Q: Inside the Storm).
● Vinegar Syndrome is readying a May release TBC for Lance Mungia’s 1998 wasteland action romp, Six String Samurai. Starring Mungia along with Jeffrey Falcon who penned the script, the film centers on a roaming guitarist vying for the crown as the true king of Rock & Roll, between battling cannibals, bandits and Russians, and protecting a young orphan boy in his care. CITY ON FIRE
● Not long after unveiling some red band content, Warner Bros. rolled out a new viewer-friendly official trailer for The Suicide Squad. Directed by James Gunn, the film arrives in theaters, IMAX and on HBO Max beginning August 6.
Native New Yorker. Lover of all things pizza, chocolate, pets, and good friends. Karaoke hero. Left of center. Survivor. Fond supporter of cult, obscure and independent cinema - especially fond of Asian movies and global action cinema. Author of the bi-weekly Hit List. Founder and editor of Film Combat Syndicate. Still, very much, only human.
You must log in to post a comment.