Eleven years since making trilogy headway, The Expendables franchise will reunite Lionsgate and Millenium Media to shoot its fourth installment later this October with much of the main cast reprising its roles; Jason Statham is reportedly leading the cast this time around and will be joined by Megan Fox as the female lead, with regulars Dolph Lundgren, Randy Couture and Sylvester Stallone, Statham’s Furious Seven cohort/martial arts action star star Tony Jaa, and Stallone’s Escape Plan co-star Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson also starring.
Stuntman-turned-director Scott Waugh (Need For Speed) is in line for rotation to direct following Stallone, and helmers Simon West and Patrick Hughes who directed the first, second and third films respectively. Waugh will direct from a screenplay Spenser Cohen, following revisions by Max Adams and John Joseph Connolly, with Statham and with Kevin King Templeton, and Millennium’s Les Weldon, Yariv Lerner, Jeffrey Greenstein and Jonathan Yunger all producing, all according to the trades on Monday with The Hollywood Reporter‘s Borys Kit breaking the news.
Plot details are so far unknown. All three films together total close to $815 million dollars and remains a landmark tentpole for many a nostalgic 70’s/80’s action hero fan familiar with the works of its cast; The franchise saw some interesting additions and cameos apart from mains Jet Li and Terry Crews, namely Eric Roberts, Bruce Willis, Chuck Norris, Arnold Schwarzenegger Harrison Ford, Gary Daniels, Scott Adkins, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Yu Nan, Liam Hemsworth, Ronda Rousey, Mickey Rourke and several others.
A spin-off had been in the works based on Statham’s character in the franchise, though it looks now that this installment may be a continuation handing Statham’s “Lee Chistmas” the reigns of leadership, as cited in the report.
“It’s so much fun to bring these stars together for a no-holds-barred action film,” said Jason Constantine, president of acquisitions and co-productions for the Lionsgate Motion Picture Group, in a statement. “The new film will raise the stakes and be the biggest, most badass adventure yet.”
“Popcorn entertainment is guaranteed,” said Millennium president, Jeffrey Greenstein, noting that the new additions to the roll call were meant to “keep it fresh and fun.”
Exec producing for Millennium are Avi Lerner, Boaz Davidson and Trevor Short, with Campbell Grobman Film’s Christa Campbell and Lati Grobman, and with Abby Mills co-producing, and Lionsgate’s Eda Kowan and Jonah Leach overseeing.
Native New Yorker. Lover of all things pizza, chocolate, pets, and good friends. Karaoke hero. Left of center. Survivor. Fond supporter of cult, obscure and independent cinema - especially fond of Asian movies and global action cinema. Author of the bi-weekly Hit List. Founder and editor of Film Combat Syndicate. Still, very much, only human.