News Briefs: FAST X Adds Another, News On Eckhart’s THE BRICKLAYER And AMBUSH, OUR MAN FROM JERSEY Casts Up, UK Thriller LETTER GIRLS
• Rita Moreno is the latest to join Fast X, adding to the “Family”-themed spy saga of Fast And Furious films starring Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez and new additions Alex Ritchson, Brie Larson and Jason Momoa. Louis Leterrier is directing for Universal. (The Wrap)
• Renny Harlin’s The Bricklayer is going to Screen Media, featuring Aaron Eckhart, Nina Dobrev, Clifton Collins Jr. Tim Blake Nelson and Ilfenesh Hadera. The film centers on an ex-CIA operative forced to confront his checkered past amidst a growing international conspiracy that puts the U.S. in crosshairs. (Deadline)
• In back-to-back reporting, Eckhart’s latest thriller out of Highland Film Group, Ambush, has landed multiple deals for release including in the UK. Also starring are Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Conor Paolo for the story of a military captain who must lead his commando unit through heavy enemy fire following a surprise attack while on a mission to collect highly classified information. (Screendaily)
• A few years since its announcement, Mark Wahlberg and Halle Berry starrer Our Man From Jersey is adding J.K. Simmons, Jessica De Gouw, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Alice Lee and Jackie Earle Haley. Julian Farino is directing from a script by David Guggenheim and Joe Barton which follows “a down-to-earth construction worker from Jersey who is quickly thrust into the world of super spies and secret agents when his high school ex-girlfriend Roxanne recruits him on a high-stakes US intelligence mission.” (Netflix)
• Joan Collins, Matt Goss (of singing duo Bros with Luke Goss) will join Footsoldiers franchise star Craig Fairbass for Letter Girls. Jayney Mackie is producing and directing the pic which is set in the 70s disco scene and sees a nightclub owner with a murky past finds his establishment and his daughter under threat from competitors, a former friend and a corrupt cop. (Screendaily)
Native New Yorker. Lover of all things pizza, chocolate, pets, and good friends. Karaoke hero. Left of center. Survivor. Fond supporter of cult, obscure and independent cinema - especially fond of Asian movies and global action cinema. Author of the bi-weekly Hit List. Founder and editor of Film Combat Syndicate. Still, very much, only human.