News Briefs: SUPERMAN Reboots; Milla Cast For IN THE LOST LANDS; RED SONJA Relaunches; Alain Moussi In KING OF KILLERS; RAINFALL Sells Worldwide; ‘Big Bad Wolves’ Remake Underway; Gruesome, Gritty Teaser For Soi Cheang’s LIMBO
● Author and journalist Ta-Nehisi Coates is penning a Superman reboot for Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Films. He’ll be joined by J.J. Abrams who will produce via Bad Robot, with Hannah Minghella also producing. Details remain pending on who will don the signature blue-and-red costume that bares the Kryptonian symbol of hope; Actor Tyler Hoechlin toplines in the role for the new CW series, Superman & Lois with Elizabeth Tulloch, with Henry Cavill currently championing under the stewardship of Zack Snyder ahead of HBO Max’s March release, Zack Snyder’s Justice League. (Deadline)
● Monster Hunter star and director pair Paul W.S. Anderson and Milla Jovovich are reteaming on yet another outing this time for In The Lost Lands. Based on a short story by George R.R. Martin, Anderson is penning the script which sees Jovovich joined by Dave Bautista for the story of Gray Alys, a sorceress summoned to journey to the Lost Lands in order to gain her queen the power to shape-shift. FilmNation will take the project virtual for this week’s EFM. (Deadline)
● Casting is reportedly set to commence immediately for Red Sonja, back in play with Millenium taking the project to EFM this week. Joey Soloway (Amazon’s Transparent), who formally changed their pronouns a few years ago, remains attached to direct since June of 2019, and now with a new screenplay from Netflix’s upcoming animated Tomb Raider showrunner and exec producer Tasha Huo. (THR)
●Jiu Jitsu star Alain Moussi will star in King Of Killers from writer director Kevin Grevioux. Pic hails from Creative Tank and Channel 56 and sees Moussi playing “a hitman who reluctantly takes part in a $10m assassin competition in Tokyo in order to save his daughter’s life.” Eclipse International launches virtual sales at EFM this week. (Screen Daily)
● Luke Sparke’s sci-fi sequel, Occupation 2: Rainfall, just made the rounds at EFM from Film Mode Entertainment and has sold to multiple territories around the world, including Saban for North America, and Signature for the U.K.. Logline: Two years into an intergalactic invasion of earth, the last survivors fight back in a desperate ground war. As causalities mount by the day, the resistance and their unexpected allies, uncover a plot that could see the war come to a decisive end. With the Alien invaders hell-bent on making earth their new home, the race is on to save mankind. (Deadline)
● A Spanish remake is underway for Gustavo Hernandez’s Lobo Feroz, revising Navot Papushado and Aharon Keshales’s 2013 Israeli revenge pic, Big Bad Wolves. Javier Gutiérrez, Adriana Ugarte and Rubén Ochiandano star among the cast to lead the story of an unhinged detective who, with the help of the mother of the most recently murdered child, takes matters into his own hands. Guido Rud of FilmSharks is handling international sales. (Screen Anarchy)
Making way at Berlinale this month is Soi Cheang’s new crime thriller, Limbo. Initially taking on some much more striking tones as a horror piece of sorts in a teaser back in March 2018 for its Filmart announcement, we now have a teaser to provide a view into what lies ahead. Gordon Lam Ka Tung, Liu Cya, Mason Lee and Hiroyuki Ikeuchi lead the story of a rookie policemen and his veteran partner, who employ an indebted female criminal as bait to lure a sadistic “hand-fetish” serial killer to justice. Limbo is produced by Sun Entertainment Culture who are also handling world sales.
Native New Yorker. Lover of all things pizza, chocolate, pets, and good friends. Karaoke hero. Left of center. Survivor. Fond supporter of cult, obscure and independent cinema - especially fond of Asian movies and global action cinema. Author of the bi-weekly Hit List. Founder and editor of Film Combat Syndicate. Still, very much, only human.